Ingredients for cooking vegetable skewers
- Bulgarian pepper (sweet) 3 pieces (large)
- Zucchini (young) 2 pieces (large)
- Champignon mushrooms 16 pieces (medium)
- Red onion (sweet) 4-5 pieces
- Garlic 2-3 prongs
- Olive oil 1/3 cup
- Dried ground rosemary to taste
- Thyme to taste
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- Caraway to taste
- Oregano to taste
- Dried ground basil to taste
- Paprika to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Pepper dried grass (mint subspecies) to taste
- Main ingredients: Onion, Pepper, Zucchini, Mushrooms
- Serving 8 servings
- World Cuisine
Kitchen paper towels, Kitchen knife, Cutting board, Bowl - 4 pieces, Garlic press, Bowl, Deep bowl, Tablespoon, Plastic container with a lid (2 pieces), Fridge, Barbecue with metal grill, Dry newspapers (leaves, paper, cardboard) , Firewood (apple tree, pear), Matches, Charcoal - 2.5 kilograms, Bamboo skewer - 8 pieces, Large flat dish
Cooking vegetable skewers:
Step 1: prepare the vegetables.
First, wash all the vegetables under cold running water and dry with paper kitchen towels. Then, in turn, lay out on a cutting board and continue their preparation. Cut off the root of each fungus.
In Bulgarian sweet peppers, remove the stalks, gutting them from the seeds, rinse again, dry and cut into 5-6 layers.
Zucchini cut into rings or half rings with a thickness of up to 2 - 2.5 centimeters.
From the red sweet onion, carefully remove the husk and cut the roots, leave the tails. Then we wash, dry and cut each onion into two halves. Squeeze the garlic cloves peeled through a garlic squeezer into a small bowl, and put the remaining chopped vegetables in clean bowls.
Step 2: prepare the marinade.
Now take a deep bowl and pour the right amount of olive oil into it. We add a little rosemary, cayenne pepper, thyme, caraway seeds, oregano, dried basil, paprika, black pepper and pepper herb. Mix with a tablespoon all the components of the marinade to a homogeneous consistency and proceed to the next step.
Step 3: pickle vegetables.
We spread the sliced zucchini into a deep plastic container, sprinkle them to taste with salt, chopped garlic and pour 2 to 3 tablespoons of the marinade.
Then we do the same with the rest of the vegetables, layering them with garlic, as well as a mixture of oil and spices.
After that, pour the remaining marinade into the container, close it with a tight-fitting lid and send it to the refrigerator for one to two hours.
Step 4: prepare the skewers and barbecue.
In the meantime, we prepare a barbecue previously cleaned of old ash. We put dry newspapers (cardboard, sheets of paper) at its bottom, cover them with charcoal, and on top of them we put brushwood, vine or dry firewood of fruit trees.
Then, using matches, make a fire and let it burn 15 - 20 minutes. Then again we throw some dry branches into it and kindle it. Repeat this process in 3-4 approachesuntil the barbecue grills about up to 280 - 300 degrees.
The last time the fire calms down a bit, we install a metal grate on it and begin to prepare the skewer.
We spread them in a long plastic container, fill it with ordinary running water so that it completely covers the wooden sticks, and we stand them in this form 10 - 15 minutes, now the skewers will not burn on the grill.
Step 5: form the kebabs.
The brazier is ready, skewer too, it's time to form a kebab. We take pickled vegetables from the refrigerator and alternating them tightly string them in an artistic mess (as you like) on bamboo sticks.
A total of 7 to 8 servings should be obtained.
Step 6: fry the kebabs.
Then we lay out still raw kebabs on the grill of the heated barbecue and fry them for 15 - 20 minutesoften turning from side to side.
When the mushrooms and zucchini become soft, remove the vegetable miracle from the red-hot lattice, transfer to a large flat dish and immediately serve it at the table.
Step 7: serve the vegetable kebabs.
Shish kebabs are served hot as a main course or side dish for meat, poultry, fish and game dishes. If desired, along with this unique and easy-to-prepare culinary masterpiece, various sauces based on tomatoes, mustard or butter mixed with chopped herbs are served on the table. Tasty and inexpensive - enjoy!
Enjoy your meal!
- if the bamboo skewers still begin to burn along the edges, the open areas of these wooden sticks can be wrapped with aluminum foil. They can also be replaced with more familiar metal skewers or long thin knitting needles;
- If desired, a little mustard, lemon juice and tomato paste can be added to the marinade;
- vegetable barbecue can be cooked at home on the electric grill for 15 to 20 minutes or in the oven, preheated to 190 degrees Celsius - 20 minutes;
- if during a kebab roasting a fire has flared up, sprinkle it with 2 - 3 handfuls of rock salt or pour water;
- very often, a set of vegetables is supplemented with whole cherry tomatoes and potatoes, after cutting it together with the skin with rings up to 1 centimeter thick.