Ingredients for making Riga kvass
- Rye malt 400 grams
- Wheat Malt 400 grams
- Barley Malt 400 grams
- Rye flour 400 grams
- Buckwheat flour 400 grams
- Wheat flour 400 grams
- Sugar 400 grams
- Fresh (liquid) yeast 30-40 milliliters
- Raisins to taste
- Purified water 20 liters and for the test how much is needed
- Vegetable oil 1 tablespoon
- Main ingredients Flour, Sugar
- Serving 8 servings
- World Cuisine
Inventory:Kitchen scale, Tablespoon, Kettle, Stove, Oven, Heat-resistant baking dish, Kitchen knife, Cutting board, Chan (capacity 30 liters) - 2 pieces, Wooden kitchen shovel (or spoon), Bowl, Fine mesh sieve, Sterile gauze , Plastic bottles with caps, Watering can, Ladle, Refrigerator, Glass
Preparation of Riga kvass:
Step 1: prepare the dough.
First, bring to a boil a full kettle of purified water, and also heat the oven up to 180 degrees Celsius and grease a heat-resistant baking dish with a tablespoon of vegetable oil.
Then pour three types of malt into a deep bowl: rye, wheat and barley. There we put three types of flour: rye, buckwheat and wheat.
We mix the dry ingredients with a tablespoon to a homogeneous consistency and begin to pour boiling water from the kettle into the mixture, while kneading a medium-density dough.
Step 2: bake a loaf of bread.
We roll the resulting semi-finished product into a bowl or an oblong loaf, put it in a baking dish and put it in a preheated oven on 35 - 45 minutes.
After the required time, the loaves of bread will acquire a dark brown, very ruddy crust, we put on kitchen gloves, take out the form from the oven, rearrange it on the countertop and cool the bread to room temperature.
Step 3: prepare the wort.
While the baking is cooling, we put on a strong fire a vat with 20 liters of purified water and bring the liquid to a boil.
After some time, put a flat bread roll on a cutting board, cut it into small pieces and transfer them to a tub with boiling water.
Turn off the stove and insist wort 12 hours in a warm place (in the kitchen), every 2 hours mixing his wooden kitchen spatula.
Step 4: bring Riga kvass to full readiness.
After 12 hours, we install a fine mesh sieve on the surface of a clean tub, lay a piece of sterile gauze folded on its bottom in 2 to 3 layers, and filter the wort through the resulting structure.
Then add liquid yeast and sugar to it. We mix these products to a homogeneous consistency and set for fermentation in a warm place - minimum 12 hours, maximum 24 hours.
After that, we filter the finished kvass again through a strainer and cheesecloth into a clean vat. Then, using a watering can and ladle, we pour it into bottles.
In each put 5 to 6 raisins, close them with lids and put in a warm place until bubbles are released. Then we rearrange the bottles in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days and after this time we are tasting!
Step 5: serve Riga kvass.
Riga kvass is served cold. Before serving, shake the bottle with the drink, pour the aromatic liquid into the glasses and, if desired, put in each pair of ice cubes. The taste of kvass is sweet-sour, with a pronounced aroma of rye bread. Enjoy it!
Enjoy your meal!
- Kvass is best stored in plastic bottles, as they are intended for pressurized drinks;
- ordinary sugar can be replaced with brown, from this the drink will acquire a more saturated taste and a beautiful velvety hue;
- Why add raisins to kvass? On the surface of dried grapes stored wine yeast, which give a special aroma and delicate aftertaste. Raisins also improve the fermentation process, from this more gas is formed in the finished drink;
- the finished drink will contain a small amount of alcohol, approximately 1 - 2%. Therefore, it is advisable for motorists to drink kvass with caution, and children should abandon it altogether!