Ingredients for making tortilla (tortillas)
- Corn flour 2.5 cups
- Wheat flour 0.5 cups
- Purified water (cold) 1-1.5 cups
- Vegetable oil 3-4 tablespoons
- Food baking powder 1 teaspoon
- Extra salt (finely ground) 1 teaspoon (no slide)
- Main ingredients
- Serving 10 Servings
- World CuisineMexican Cuisine
Glass (capacity 250 milliliters), Tablespoon, Teaspoon, Fine mesh strainer, Deep bowl, Kitchen towel, Metal spatula, Rolling pin, Parchment paper or PE plastic wrap, Stove, Frying pan, Kitchen spatula, Large flat dish
Cooking tortillas (tortillas):
Step 1: prepare the dough.
Sift the desired amount of wheat flour into a deep bowl through a fine mesh sieve. Pour corn flour, salt and food baking powder there. Mix the dry ingredients with a tablespoon until smooth.
Next, add cold purified water to the bowl in small portions while kneading the dough. Do not pour all the liquid at once, for a start one glass is enough. The amount of water depends on the gluten contained in the flour. Therefore, in this case, it is better to underfill than overflow.
The dough should turn out soft, supple and non-sticky. When it acquires the desired texture, add vegetable oil to the bowl and knead the dough again for 45 minutesuntil it becomes elastic.
Then we cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and leave the dough to rest for 25-30 minutes.
Step 2: form and fry the tortillas (tortillas).
After the required time has passed, we roll the dough into a sausage and divide it into 9 to 10 equal parts using a kitchen spatula.
Then we form a bowl the size of a plum from each piece, lay them back in a bowl and cover with a kitchen towel so that the dough does not dry.
After that, turn on the stove on medium heat and put a dry frying pan on it - without fat!
Now we take one of the parts of the dough and roll it out using a rolling pin between two sheets of parchment paper or cling film.
The result should be a round cake up to 3 millimeters thick and with a diameter of 15 to 17 centimeters.
Gently transfer it to a dry hot pan and fry for 30 - 60 seconds on each side.
We don’t waste time in vain - we roll out the next cake in the same way.
When the first tortillas acquires a light yellow hue, swells slightly and fries, use a kitchen spatula to remove it from the pan and transfer it to a large flat dish.
Just fry the rest of the tortillas. Then we cover them with a kitchen towel, slightly cool and then serve.
Step 3: serve the tortilla (tortillas).
Tortilla (tortillas) is served warm. They are mainly used as the basis for such Mexican dishes as enchilada, fajitas, tacos, burritos and many others. But very often tortillas are served instead of bread with soups, main meat dishes. Also, cakes or rolls with various fillings are prepared from these cakes. Enjoy it!
Enjoy your meal!
- At will, you can use only wheat flour, this tortilla will be softer and will not quickly become stale.
- Instead of vegetable oil, you can use melted or grated frozen butter. Also, very often, instead of oils, finely chopped lard or pork ghee is used.
- Corn flour can be prepared independently by grinding corn grits through a coffee grinder.
- Very often spicy spices are added to this type of dough: ground red or black pepper, French herbs, dried lemongrass and many others.
- If you want to make sweet tortillas, you can add sugar to the dough instead of salt.