Ingredients for Cooking Quick Pickled Onions
- Onions (white or red) 4 heads
- Pure water 250 milliliters
- Table vinegar 9% 65-70 milliliters
- Sugar 3 tablespoons
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- Main Ingredients
- Serving 2 servings
- World Cuisine
Knife, Cutting board, Deep bowl, Glass liter jar with lid, Paper kitchen towels, Tablespoon, Measuring cup, Stove, Stewpan, Salad bowl - 2 pieces
Cooking quick pickled onions:
Step 1: prepare the onion.
We take 4 heads of white or red onions and use a knife for cutting raw vegetables to peel it. After we wash the bulbs under cold running water from sand and any other contaminants. Dry with paper kitchen towels from excess moisture, put on a cutting board and cut each onion in half.
Then cut the halves into half rings, rings or straws up to 5 millimeters thick and shift the slices into a clean and deep bowl.
Step 2: Cook the marinade.
Now turn on the stove to the middle level and put on it a small stewpan with 250 milliliters of pure water. Add 3 tablespoons of sugar, 1/2 tablespoon of salt to it and bring the liquid to a boil. After boiling with a measuring cup, pour into the stewpan 65 - 70 milliliters of table 9% vinegar and give the marinade the opportunity to boil for 1 minute.
Step 3: Cook the quick pickled onions.
Then remove the stewpan from the stove and pour the chopped onion with hot liquid, the marinade should completely cover the chopped vegetables. We cool the liquid to room temperature, this process will take about 1.5 - 2 hours. After the right time, you can taste the onion.
If you are not going to use all the pickled onions, then you should transfer it with the marinade to a glass jar, close the container with a tight-fitting lid and put it in the refrigerator. So onions can be stored for 7 days, after an appetizer loses its taste.
Step 4: Serve the quick pickled onions.
Quick pickled onions are served in a salad bowl at room temperature or chilled, in the latter case it is much tastier. It can be used to decorate various dishes of meat, fish, poultry or vegetables. Before putting it in the salad, the onion should be squeezed a little, and if you use it in baking, then you do not need to squeeze it. It’s nice to eat kebabs, sandwiches and such an onion will perfectly complement any side dish. Enjoy it!
Enjoy your meal!
- Very often, this type of marinade is used for quick pickling of other vegetables: salad sweet or bell pepper (sliced), cabbage (thin shredder), cucumbers (sliced in rings or slices), beets (diced). But these vegetables should be infused in the refrigerator for 12 hours.
- Optionally, you can add mustard, coriander, dried or fresh dill, chopped garlic to the marinade.
- It is not necessary to use a bowl for marinating, any deep, clean container with a tight-fitting lid, such as a plastic container, is suitable.