Ingredients for making Unagi sauce
- Soy sauce (no additives) 1/2 cup
- Mirin (sweet rice wine) 1/2 cup
- Sugar (white or brown) 1/4 cup
- Main ingredientsWhite wine, Sugar
- Serving 1 serving
- World CuisineAsian, Oriental
Stewpan, Stove, Wooden kitchen spatula, Cutting board, Cup (capacity 300 milliliters), Gravy boat
Cooking Unagi sauce:
Step 1: prepare the sauce.
We take a small stew-pan and pour 1/2 cup of Mirin, sweet rice wine, into it. We put this capacity on the stove, turned on at an average level. Bring the wine to a boil. This must be done in order for the alcohol to evaporate. When the first bubbles appear on the surface of the wine, indicating its boiling, add 1/4 cup of granulated sugar to the stewpan. Stirring the mass with a wooden kitchen spatula, continue to boil the wine until the sugar grains are completely dissolved.
When the sugar has dissolved, add 1/2 cup of soy sauce to the stewpan and bring all the ingredient until boiling again. Then reduce the temperature of the plate to a level between small and medium.
We continue to cook Unagi sauce yet 20 minutes. Then we turn off the stove, rearrange the stewpan on a cutting board, allow the sauce to cool to room temperature, pour it into the sauceboat and serve.
Step 2: serve the sauce.
Unagi sauce is served at room temperature or chilled. It is mainly served along with Unagi rolls or Dragon rolls. Also very often smoked-baked eel is poured with this sauce, seasoned with boiled rice or smeared rice cakes with this fragrant mass. Enjoy it!
Enjoy your meal!
- Sometimes fried and crushed eel bones, fresh or dried ginger root are added to the sauce. Fresh eel is also very often added, the sauce is boiled for 20 minutes, then filtered, cooled and served.
- Sometimes, in order to give the sauce a thicker consistency, potato starch is added to it. For the above mass of ingredients 3 to 4 grams.
- Instead of sugar, you can use powdered sugar or honey.
- This type of sauce should be stored in the refrigerator, after packing it in a sealed container: jar, plastic container.